A working adult with aging parents will find it difficult to always be there for them. You want to ensure your loved ones are safe and comfortable, but you don’t have the time or resources to do everything yourself.
Connected Health is here to help; we provide elderly care at home, tailored to your loved one’s needs.
From medication management to meal planning, we take care of everything so you can rest easy knowing they are in good hands. Our compassionate and experienced caregivers will keep your loved ones comfortable and safe while ensuring their quality of life remains high.
You can relax knowing that we’re there for them 24/7, with experienced nurses and caregivers dedicated to providing the best possible service. Our technology also allows you to keep an eye on them at all times through live-streaming videos and mobile apps.
How To Perform Elderly Care at Home?
Caring for an elderly loved one can be both a rewarding and challenging experience. However, with the proper support, knowledge and resources, you can ensure they live a safe, comfortable life in their home.
Here are some steps on how to keep elderly family members safe and comfortable while living at home:
- Create a safe and comfortable environment: Ensure pathways are clear of any tripping hazards, such as rugs or mats, furniture is arranged correctly, and install grab bars in the bathroom for extra support.
- Have daily essentials on hand: Make sure your elderly loved one has access to all the everyday items they may need, including reading glasses, hearing aids or medication. Label items if there is more than one of the same type.
- Equip the home with assistive technology: Equip your home with communication devices, mobility aids, medical monitoring systems and security systems that are easy to operate for elderly family members.
- Assist with daily activities: Help with everyday activities, such as dressing, bathing, grooming, and toileting. If the older person has difficulty performing these tasks, consider hiring a caregiver or a home health aide.
- Understand your role/responsibilities: All family members or caregivers should understand their roles & responsibilities when it comes to caring for an older person at home – from cooking meals to providing companionship.
By implementing these simple steps into your care strategy, you can ensure that your elderly loved ones enjoy a safe and comfortable life at home.
What Are Some Tips for Providing Quality Care at Home?
Caring for an older person at home requires patience, dedication, and a willingness to adapt to their specific needs. Here are some tips on how to perform elderly care at home:
- Create a Schedule: Establishing a schedule can help reduce anxiety and structure the day. Ensure they have access to nutritious meals and scheduled rest times throughout the day. Additionally, plan regular breaks for yourself if you are providing care – it’s essential that you also take time out to rest and recharge!
- Encourage Social Interaction: Social interaction is an essential part of life for elderly family members, so make sure to foster social connections with friends, neighbours or community groups whenever possible. Consider arranging trips or outings outside the home, joining local clubs or activities or introducing new technology such as video chatting with far-away relatives.
- Stay organised: Keep track of appointments, medications, and other important information in a centralised location. This can be a calendar, a notebook, or a computer program.
- Maintain physical activity: Encourage the older person to engage in physical activity, such as walking or doing light exercises. This can help maintain their mobility and overall health.
- Monitor health: Keep track of any older person’s health changes and report them to their doctor. This can include changes in behaviour, mobility, or overall health. By following these tips, you can provide the older person with the care and support they need to age comfortably in their home.
Statistics on Elderly Care at Home
According to Age UK, the leading charity for older people in the UK, more than two million people aged 65+ are receiving care services at home.
Here are some other essential stats on elderly care at home in the UK:
- 8 out of 10 people aged 65+ who receive care and support rely solely on unpaid support from family members or friends.
- The value of unpaid care provided by family and friends is around £570 billion per year.
- The average weekly cost for social care at home is £574 for those aged 65+
In conclusion, caring for an older person at home can be a fulfilling and rewarding experience. By ensuring their safety, providing companionship, assisting with daily activities, managing medications, preparing nutritious meals, staying organised, maintaining physical activity, and monitoring their health, you can help them live comfortably and with dignity.
Connected Health does all of this! We provide elderly care at home tailored to your loved one’s needs. From medication management to socialising, and meal planning, we take care of everything so you can rest easy knowing they are in good hands.
With our services, you can feel confident knowing they are well taken care of – even when you cannot be there yourself. So contact us today for a free consultation! We’ll discuss your specific needs and create a plan that works best for you and your family.